Thursday 17 July 2014

7th Edition and Teenage Romance

When I was in my final year at school I had a huge crush on one of the girls in my class. I fell for her like only an 18 year old can. I was obsessed. Sadly it was entirely unrequited.

A few years later I met her again, and we spent some time together. With a few years perspective I really couldn’t see why my 18 year old self fell for her so hard. Other women were way hotter and way more interesting.

And that’s kinda how I feel about 7th edition. I’m totally over my obsession with 40k.


Like when I met my teenage crush in later life, I really wanted to like 7th edition, I really did, but while there are certain things that are good, there is so much that isn’t. To continue my analogy – my teenage crush was still pretty, but she was a bit whiny. She was still clever and articulate, but she was a bit dull …. you get the idea!

I like what GW did with wound allocation (each gun shooting separately), but unbound armies are just silly, and battle forged is almost as bad. I like what they did to flying MC’s, but the psychic phase …. really! And we still have USR stacking to make death stars, now with added invisibility, we still have super heavies, we still have re-rollable 2+ invulnerable saves. And the way its all "organised" with combined detachments, etc etc is just silly.

I’ve read a few people talk about how you could change and modify 7th edition to make it playable in a tournament setting, but you know what, I just can’t be bothered. I don’t want to take on a “project”. Just like I didn’t want to date the pretty girl, and hope she became a little less dull, I don’t want to invest in a stupid game, and hope some TO works out how to make it less stupid. Life's too short.

So “I’m out”. I’m putting 40k on the shelf, and I’m going to try something else. I’m not e-baying everything, and I’ll probably still build and paint the models, and I'll still play at the non-club, but I’m not going to obsess about it as I have in the past, and I suspect this might be my last post for a while.

A couple of years after I dated my teenage crush I met Mrs Geek. We’ve now  been together for over 25 years, and I love her more today than I ever have, and I’ll love her even more tomorrow.

Why settle for a stupid game when there might be a better one out there? In fact, I might just put gaming to one side for a while. But, you know what, Ive really enjoyed blogging - so here's me latest "project" - www.oldfatbloke.com. Join me there if you're interested in my ramblings on a compltetly different topic !

EYIG

3 comments:

  1. Hi, This is a good post, indeed a great job. You must have done good research for the work, i appreciate your efforts.
    teenage romance

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your sentiment completely. Once a 'hardcore 40k player' myself, I've given up and dived headlong in to Malifaux. Hope you can find a good replacement for geekiness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the FANTASTIC post! This information is really good and thanks a ton for sharing it :) I m looking forward despee that ever did that. Keep it up
    teenage romance

    ReplyDelete