Monday 27 February 2017

Genestealer Cult - Short Tournament Report

I attended a small 4 game RTT at the weekend. There were 6 of us, and we only played 1250pts on 4’X4’ tables. I took a different list, with 2 main changes. I didn’t take a Cult Insurrection Detachment, just a CAD and one SubT, and I took Metamorph Leaders in the 3 units of Metamorphs in the SubT. I wanted to see if I missed the bonuses in the Cult Insurrection Detachment, and assess whether the Leaders were worth it, given the not insubstantial extra cost (32pts per model).  


I played Skirtari with a Knight (went second and lost). Dark Eldar (went first and won), Eldar (went second and was obliterated by Power From Death and Soulburst), and Chaos Marines (a draw). So pretty average. However, I did learn 3 things.

First, I missed all of the bonuses from the Cult Insurrection Detachment. In the games against Skitari and Eldar, not having shrouded in turn one, made weathering their shooting when going second much harder, meaning that my usual tactic of returning to the shadows and coming on turn 2 was less effective. Again, in the game against Skitari, I got badly shot up on turn one, and Numbers without Counting would have allowed me to come back on with more bodies. In my game against the Dark Eldar I was badly mauled by a Razorwing Jet Fighter – having -1 to his reserves would have kept it off for a turn. So, while there is “fat” in the Brood Cycle, it’s worth it for the bonuses.

Second, I never felt I needed the Metamorph Leaders with their Boneswords. The whips were great, especially against the Dark Eldar, but having rending makes shelling out 30pts for an AP3 weapon simply not worth it. Better to take 2 whips in each unit for 4 pts. 

Soul burst and Power from Death is absolutely horrendous. My opponent (who only played 3 out of 4 games, but still won the tournament on battle points!) was apologising all day for how OP it was. I will be amazed if it’s not nerffed in some way, either by TO’s or by and FAQ from GW.

So with these learning points (and rethinking my position on Hand Flamers and Demo Charges), the latest version of my 1850pt list is.

Cult Insurrection Detachment

Brood Cycle

Iconward

5 Acolyte Hybrids
5 Acolyte Hybrids
5 Acolyte Hybrids

5 Metamorphs

10 Nepphytes
10 Neophytes

20 Genestealers

Lords of the Cult

Patriarch, Level 2, Familiar
Magus, Level 2, Crouchling.

Subterranean Uprising

Primus

5 Acolyte Hybrids, 5 Hand Flamers
5 Acolyte Hybrids, 2 Demo Charges

10 Metamorphs, 5 Claws, 2 Whips, Cult  Icon
10 Metamorphs, 5 Claws, 2 Whips, Cult  Icon
10 Metamorphs, 5 Claws, 2 Whips, Cult  Icon

Subterranean Uprising

5 Acolyte Hybrids, 5 Hand Flamers
5 Acolyte Hybrids, 2 Demo Charges

10 Metamorphs, 5 Claws, 2 Whips, Cult  Icon
10 Metamorphs, 5 Claws, 2 Whips, Cult  Icon
10 Metamorphs, 5 Claws, 2 Whips, Cult  Icon

Next, I have a post on Psychic Powers, and one on deploying the ultimate Alpha Strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment