Tuesday 7 November 2017

Blood and Glory List Review

The list I took to Blood and Glory was 

Troupe Master, Fusion Pistol, Caress
Troupe Master, Fusion Pistol, Embrace (I needed 3 points!)

Troupe, 5 Players, 3 Fusion Pistols, 4 Embraces
Troupe, 5 Players, 3 Fusion Pistols, 4 Embraces
Troupe, 5 Players, 2 Fusion Pistols, 4 Embraces
Troupe, 5 Players, 2 Fusion Pistols, 4 Embraces

Solitaire

3 Skyweavers, 2 Glaves

4 Starweavers

Aeldari Spearhead

Farseer Skyrunner, Doom, Executioner.

Ravager, 3 Disintegrators
Ravager, 3 Disintegrators
Ravager, 3 Disintegrators
Harlequins Battalion


What worked

Harlies. The combination of speed, Fusion Pistols, and ability in assault is just fantastic. Everybody asked me if it wouldn’t be better as Ynarri, but rising crescendo is so good, I’m really not convinced. As I mentioned in the last post, the biggest problem is realising how far they can actually assault. At times it seems so unfeasible, that it’s hard to believe. I think I’ve settled on Embraces. The S4 and -3AP is I think preferable to the S5, and -2AP on the Caresses, especially for 3pts less. Not a particularly scientific opinion, really based on the fact that I usually found myself wishing that the Troupe Masters had had Embraces rather than Carresses! 

Fusion Pistols. Fantastic when they work, woeful when they dont! Very “hit or miss” (obviously), but very necessary for dealing with big stuff, which Harlies struggle with a bit in assault. I think the optimum number is 3. Two is too random, and 4 too expensive. 

Starweavers. If it wasn’t for Starweavers, Harlies would be pretty much unplayable. They are crucial for protecting your Troupes and getting them where they need to be. The take away from this tournament is how resilient they are. On the face of it they’re paper planes, but with a -1 to hit, and a 4++, they are surprisingly durable. And they’re so quick. A threat range of 22” for Fusion Pistols is incredibly effective.

Skyweavers. Their sheer speed is staggering, and they are no slouches in combat with Zepherglaves (I wish they were S5 though). A 22” move, and a 2d6 charge is so versatile. However, three isn’t enough. I think a bigger unit would be more impressive.

Farseer. The Farseer was great, mobility, reasonably durable, re-rolling failed psychic test, and Doom. Doom is such a strong power, particularly when combined with the Ravagers. Also being able to deny 2 powers, rather that 1 from the Shadowseer was very helpful. But....I missed Twilight Pathways! 

Solitaire. He was a legend all tournament. The key is picking your targets. The biggest problem is toughness - he will struggle against anything greater than T5, but anything T4 or less - bring it on? He particularly excels against multi wound T3 characters. But the real power is that he is one model, ignores terrain and other models, and is incredibly fast. That means you can get him into very tight spaces, where nobody expects him to go. He is a character assassin, pure and simple. 

What didn’t work quite so well.

Ravagers. The problem wasn’t really that they didn’t work well, they absolutely did. The Disintegrators, combined with Doom are devastating ...... when they got a chance to fire. The thing is, becasue everything else in my army is -1 to hit, with a 4++, and because everybody knows how devastating they are, they’re the obvious target. I went 2nd in 4 out of 5 games, and in each of those 4 games, they were the focus of most of my opponents fire power. In only one of game did more than one survive turn one unscathed. And they’re not cheap ... 185pts each! But then again, they are my only real ranged fire power. 

Lack of units who’s only job is to score objectives. I had hoped the Ravagers would be able to do that, sitting back and scoring. However, because they were such a big target, they seldom survived. With most of the Harlies up front killing stuff, I was often left with nothing to cover backfield objectives. 

Thoughts on future lists.

I think I would like to try a pure Harlies list, dropping the Farseer and Ravagers, and replacing them with another Troupe in a Starweaver, a big unit of 5 Skyweavers, 2 small units of 2 Skyweavers, and bring back the Shadowseer. 

Something like

Shadowseer
Troupe Master, Fusion, Embrace.
Troupe Master, Fusion Embrace

Troupe, 4 Embraces, 3 Fusion Pistols
Troupe, 4 Embraces, 3 Fusion Pistols
Troupe, 4 Embraces, 3 Fusion Pistols
Troupe, 4 Embraces, 3 Fusion Pistols
Troupe, 4 Embraces, 3 Fusion Pistols

Skyweavers x5, Zephere Glaves
Skyweavers x2, Star Bolas
Skyweavers x2, Star Bolas

Starweavers x5

The problem of course is that I lose all that ranged fire power. I lose 18 S5 -3AP D2 shots and replace them with 24 s6 0AP (although -3 on a 6 to wound) D1 shots. Against a T7 vehicle I trade an average of 6 wounds (assuming one is saved) for maybe 3, depending on saves. However, the additional flexibility it gives me is I think worth it, becasue I also get another Troupe, 5 more Fusion Pistols, 2 “dedicated” scoring units (the 2 small Skyweaver teams) and the big unit of bikes that will be in anybody’s teeth turn 1, and can pull of 50+” charges if the Shadowseer casts Twilight Pathways on them .... and it’s one less drop for deciding who goes first.

Better I think!

Thoughts?

EYIG

No comments:

Post a Comment