Sunday 4 March 2012

Sir#67 at Throne of Skulls Part 2

Hello, Sir#67 here,

Sorry for the delay, life decided I had more important things to do than type up my remaining battle reports. He teamed up with work there was no way I could stop them both!!

The following will not be as detailed as my previous reports because frankly I can’t remember exactly what happened in each game anymore.





Game 4

Game 4 and I’m playing Black Templars again. List was a little like:

Marshal: Terminator armour, Whatever gives him eternal warrior

Emperors Champion: Preferred Enemy vow

5 Sword Brethern Termies: 2 Cyclone Missile Launchers, Tank Hunters

5 Sword Brethern Termies: 2 Cyclone Missile Launchers, Tank Hunters

Dreadnaught: Twin Linked Lascannon, Tank Hunters

5 Initiates: Lascannon

5 Initiates: Lascannon

9 Initiates: Rhino

Land Speeder Typhoon

Land Speeder Typhoon

Mission: Seize Ground (5 objectives), Deployment: Spearhead

I won the roll of and chose to go first and deployed quite conservatively, I wasn’t going to risk him seizing with all that firepower.

The plan was to feed the termies and typhoons dark light and pezzle the two small initiate squads with the venoms.

This is pretty much what happened.

I started off quite badly. My conservative deployment left a lot of my firepower out of range. My opponent was then able to immobilise/destroy all my ravengers in the first two turns. He was then able to out range me with the typhoons and dread.

The hellions leapt out of the central wood to try and finish off an initiate squad and the marshall’s terminators. They kill both but I’m stuck in combat with the marshall. I hit and run back to the central wood to avoid the wrath of the emperors champion and friends.

After loosing some more venoms the hellions leap out to try and tackle the second terminator squad. They end up left in combat with two of them but I decided to stay to try and tempt the emperors champions squad out of their rhino and back towards their own lines. It worked though it cost me most of the hellions.

In my turn I hit and run with the Baron and last hellion towards the two typhoons. I had no venoms left by this point and all my warriors were running for objectives as fast as they could.

The baron split off from his hellion and they both went for a typhoon each. The Baron royally fluffed it but the hellion delivered like a boss!

We were into the end game now: the emperors champion and squad (his last scoring unit) moved towards one of my objectives. I sacrificed a unit of trueborn to try and delay them a turn. The remaining typhoon and dread tried to contest (I’d immobilised the rhino at some point). The baron chased his typhoon round for a turn or two and managed to take it down eventually. I think the game ended with me in control of three objectives with one contested.

This was my best game of the tournament. My opponent really knew his stuff and played a tight game. He went on to win a well deserved best black templar player.

Game 5

Last game of the tourney. I was on table 1 playing another Dark Eldar player.
His list was something similar to:

Baron

5 Trueborn: 2 Dark Lances
Venom: 2 splinter cannons

4 Trueborn: 4 Blasters
Venom: 2 Splinter cannons

4 Trueborn: 4 Blasters
Venom: 2 Splinter Cannons

5 Warriors: Blaster
Venom: 2 Splinter Cannons

5 Warriors: Blaster
Venom: 2 Splinter Cannons

5 Warriors: Blaster
Venom: 2 Splinter Cannons

5 Warriors: Blaster
Venom: 2 Splinter Cannons

5 Warriors: Blaster
Venom: 2 Splinter Cannons

Ravenger: 3 Dark Lances

Ravenger: 3 Dark Lances

Ravenger: 3 Disintegrators, Night Shields

Mission: Capture and Control, Deployment: Dawn of War

This was my first time playing against Dark Eldar and it was definitely a steep learning curve.

I’ll keep this one short as it was pretty one sided.

My opponent won the role to go first and took it. He deployed nothing and I did likewise.

To cut a long story short I treated this game like I was playing any other army and was punished for it. I’m used to armies being able to match my firepower or my manoeuvrability but not both. I deployed badly and everything went down hill from there.

If the game ended turn 5 I would have pulled out a draw but alas it was not to be.


I ended Throne of Skulls with a record of 4-0-1. Out of my 5 opponents 3 of them went on to win best army awards so I didn’t exactly have the easiest of rides, but overall I’m quite pleased with my performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment