Sunday 15 January 2012

Introduction to Embrace Your Inner Geek

Gosh – the blogosphere! I’m honoured.
“Embrace Your Inner Geek” here by kind invitation of Bede. Not sure what I’m going to say, but as my handle ways – you gotta embrace it!
So, what am I going to write about? Don’t know really, but first an intro…..!
I’m what you might call a mature gamer! Most of you are probably young enough to be my kids! But hey, one of my pet theories is that anybody over the age of 7 who plays with toy soldiers, is a kid at heart anyway.
Married, three kids, job, mortgage blah, blah, blah. Oh and I’m an obsessive-compulsive 40k addict. Been playing for about 2 years. My son got me into it – it’s all his fault. So I now own an Eldar army, a codex marines army, 3 different types of blood angels army, a Black Templars army and a Tau army – Oh and they are all fully painted….! It’s a worry!
Why do I do it … well there’s a question. Primarily I do it for the game – I love planning lists, I love the strategy, testing them out and kicking butt. Don’t get me wrong (to my surprise) I also enjoy painting, and I try really hard not to field an unpainted army, but I wouldn’t paint if there was no game.
And I love tournaments…. I’m not particularly good at them (yet!), but I love the intensity, I love the variety (people and armies), and I love that people are playing to win (I know this is a big topic, and I might come back to it, but I’m not a fan of “casual gaming” i.e. without regard to the rules or if people aren’t focused on the game). Last year I played in 6 two day tourneys and a similar number of one day tourneys (lost count!). What can I say, it’s an addiction…!
So I guess I’ll write about tactics, lists, tournaments and gaming generally. I probably wont write about painting, and I certainly wont write about fluff!
So first up – well, I’m going to the Caledonian Uprising next weekend and Throne of Skulls the weekend after, taking my Tau. Never been to Caledonian before. Was recommended as being “more competitive” than Throne of Skulls, so looking forward to getting my butt kicked!
The weekend after will be my 3rd Throne of Skulls with my Tau. The last 2 I’ve won 2, lost 2 and drawn one. So pretty average. Looking to do better than that.
So, coming next – my List for Caledonian, and my thoughts on it, and maybe a little about Tau generally.
EYIG

No comments:

Post a Comment